Rumis Engage College of Marketing (RECOM) is dedicated to safeguarding your privacy and managing your personal information in line with the relevant Ghanaian data protection law. This privacy statement tries to be clear, succinct, and upfront about how we obtain, maintain and use your personal information.
To make sure you’re satisfied with how your data is handled or maintained, we urge you to examine this policy frequently.
Who we are
Rumis Engage College of Marketing is in charge of handling data (RECOM).
The Rumis Engage College of Marketing is the top supplier of short courses with long-term value in marketing. Accredited by and registered in Ghana with The Chartered Institute of Marketing, Ghana (CIMG) (registration number BN114791222). Our registered office is located at 17 Dome Road in Accra, Ghana.
- Learner & Support Director, Rumis Engage College of Marketing, Dome Road 17, Accra, Ghana.
How we collect data about you
There are several ways we may collect information about you. These include:
- when you provide it to us by getting in contact (phone/email/web/web chat**)
- when you subscribe to our services or place an order with us
- when you interact with communications that we send to you
- if you are studying for a CIMG qualification with us
- if you are studying or joining through an arrangement with your company, your company may share your personal information with us
- if you submit your details when sending an enquiry through a third-party vendor
- when you provide details at an exhibition or networking event
- when you report a problem with RECOM’s websites or any of its services
*Telephone conversations may be recorded for training or to settle any disputes. Access to recordings is limited to the management team for customer services, and they are kept for three months.
** Pre-chat, in-chat, and post-chat survey content are kept for 13 months. By sending an email to email@example.com during this time, you can ask for this content to be redacted (which will eliminate all personally identifiable information, PII).
What information we collect about you
Some information is gathered regarding when/whether the email was opened and what links were clicked if you enter your email address, consent to email marketing, or if you get certain messages related to your study term with RECOM. This data is used to evaluate how well our communications are being received.
Security of your information
RECOM respects your privacy and has implemented the necessary technical and organisational safeguards to help us reduce risks like data loss or unauthorized access, deletion, use, modification, or disclosure.
How we use your information and the legal bases for this
Your information is used to complete your transactions, provide our services, get in touch with you, and enhance the user experience on our website.
Name, date of birth, phone number, email address, address, billing address, company name (if applicable), and VAT number are just a few of the details we may gather when you make a purchase from us (if applicable). You won’t be able to buy from us or sign a contract with us if you don’t supply this information. In certain situations, we process your personal information because it is required to fulfil our contractual obligations to you or to carry out your request for us to engage in a contract.
We may contact you in the future regarding particular RECOM and CIMG digital products and services after your purchase. Your personal data is processed under these situations on the grounds of legitimate interest. You have the choice to opt out of receiving more communications from us in each communication we send. You can also choose to get marketing messages on particular aspects of our products and services that interest you. This processing is done with your consent when you choose to receive these communications from us. Again, you are free to withdraw your approval at any moment.
One of the main benefits of studying with us as a RECOM learner is having access to the most recent marketing insights and a range of member bonuses. As a result, we may occasionally send you learner-only communications that encourage you to get the most out of your time spent studying with RECOM. On the basis of a reasonable interest, data is processed for these messages. You have the option to choose whether to receive this and other RECOM communications.
Who do we share your data with
We will only divulge personal information to third parties when necessary to provide our services, carry out any agreements we have with you, as required by law, or protect our legal rights.
Unless you specifically opt-in to this type of contact, RECOM will not provide your information to third parties for the purpose of receiving messages from such third parties, including pertinent business information.
Only when necessary to deliver our services and run our business, we share your information with various providers who will act as data processors. These include:
- Telephone and email providers
- Payment processing providers
- IT service providers
- Hosting providers
- Mailing houses and print/fulfilment companies
Social media and third-party advertising partners
Utilising tracking links and URL shortening services, we gather information about the IP address and geographic location of the devices accessing the shortened links, the time and date of each access, the websites or services that referred the users to the shortened link, and details about how the link was shared on other third-party services like social media platforms.
Credit or debit card information is not saved by RECOM. These details are, however, safely stored and deleted after payment when they are stored. RECOM does not divulge any financial information to outside parties.
However, it might (under the right conditions) contract with other businesses to deliver services to you, such as a credit card processing business or a Direct Debit service. These businesses only utilize personal information to deliver this service to RECOM and never save, share, store, or use it for any other reason..
When you have given your consent for your data to be processed in this way, RECOM may share your information with third parties for the purposes of conducting research on our behalf, including learner surveys. Through our website, you are always free to modify your choices.
- Assessment details: The names of the students and their mock exam scores will be disclosed to their lecturers or other designated faculty members. In the event of any investigations, CIMG may also receive this information.
- Mock Exam venues: It could be essential to give the exam location access to your name, contact email address, and phone number if you are taking your mock exam there. This information will only be used by the centre to get in touch with you regarding your attendance and, if required, to collect any outstanding pre-agreed payments. Following the conclusion of the mock exam, the data is removed or erased.
- Online invigilating: Your name, email, learner identity number, and IP address will be shared with our third-party invigilating provider in order to administer your assessment if you want to complete it online while being observed by the invigilator through a webcam and microphone.
Requests for verification of people’s membership and credentials may come to RECOM. It can be required for CIMG to confirm your membership status, grade, and Chartered Marketer status to a third party without your permission in order to address governance and disciplinary issues. In all other cases, CIMG will only share information if a proper consent form that you have signed is submitted with the request.
We will share your information with the other organization where you purchase discounted CIMG goods or services through our joint ventures so they can confirm your qualification for the discount.
When you register for a course or event offered by one of our learning partners, your information will be given to that company, which will only use it to manage the event.
CPD and Chartered Marketers
Through a third-party processor, which includes data collection via an online app, CIMG offers a service for members to track their CPD online. The information will be used by CIMG to maintain CPD, Chartered Marketer status, and general progress tracking of learners.
We follow a policy of transparency when it comes to the names of our Chartered Marketers, thus we make their names and CIMG Regions publicly available on our website. Our learner experience team can be contacted by members to request that their names be deleted.
Any learner of any grade who is the subject of a disciplinary proceeding in which the complaint is upheld will have their identity and the results of the proceeding made public by CIMG. Such processing must be carried out in accordance with our own legitimate interests.
Sharing your information for legal reasons
CIMG will divulge your information as necessary to satisfy a legal or statutory need. For instance, this can provide details relating to crimes or risks to the safety of the public.
Your data will only be retained for as long as necessary. The period of time we keep information will depend on any legal requirements we may have (such as the need to record taxes), the type of agreements we may have with you, the presence of your consent, or our business’s legitimate interests.
When you buy something from us, like training or an event, we keep your information for six years after the end of the fiscal year in which you made the transaction. We are required by law to maintain certain records for tax purposes.
We will retain your information for as long as is necessary to respond to and finish your inquiry, plus an additional 12 months, before deleting it, unless you give us permission to contact you in the future.
In order to authenticate your membership status and recent history to third parties upon request or to enable you to re-join as a learner, learner information will be kept on file for a duration of ten years following the date of your most recent renewal.
Qualifications and assessments
Qualifications information, including assessment results, will be retained for 25 years for the purposes of verifying your CIMG qualifications.
Registration for complimentary activities or content
Your data will be retained for the duration of your involvement and will be destroyed after a further 12 months.
Details on your interactions with CIMG may be used to review the relevance and quality of the products and services we offer. However, we do not undertake any automated profiling or automated decision-making processes.
Subject to certain limitations, you have the right to:
- Request a copy of the information we hold about you and be told about its use.
- Request that CIMG rectifies or deletes your information, or restricts processing if you have concerns over its accuracy, deletion or fair and lawful use.
- Object to the processing of your personal data, based on your particular situation, where this processing is based on the legitimate interests of CIMG, where it involves direct marketing, or where it is completed for research or statistical purposes.
- Withdraw consent to the use of your information. All of our communications (excluding operational learner communications) contain an unsubscribe link. If you are a member of CIMG, you can manage your preferences at any time online whenever you visit their website. Otherwise, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to manage the communications you receive.
- Receive your personal data in a portable, commonly used, machine-readable format to transfer to another data controller. However, in some circumstances, we may be unable to provide you with some or all of your personal data, for example, if it compromises the confidentiality of a third party.
If you have concerns or questions over the collection, storage or processing of your data, you are encouraged in the first instance to contact a member of staff to discuss and resolve any issues.
Alternatively, you can write directly to the RECOM team at:
- Learner & Support Director, Rumis Engage College of Marketing, Dome Road 17, Accra, Ghana.